Sunday, January 16, 2011

Introduction

Greetings to all you book lovers.  This the first blog for The Book Sage.  My goal is to create a dialogue with those of you who want to talk books.  I hope that we will all learn about new authors and new books and that more reading is the end result for everybody.  I know that our mutual love of books (whether they be in hardcover, paperback, or on an ereader) and this give-and-take will lead to more people reading more of the time.  If you're looking for any intellectual discourse or deep philosophical discussions, you've come to the wrong blog.  This blog is for the readers who want to enjoy their books.  I don't want it to feel like a school assignment.  All of us have to make time to fit our reading in, and it should be enjoyable.

In the coming posts, I will discuss different genres and some of my favorite books from those genres.  I will want to know what your favorites are too.  Everybody benefits from these lists.  Let's start by hearing any comments that any of you may have about the direction you would like to see this blog go.  Although I have no problem with (trying to) impose my will on everybody (and it is, in fact, my blog!), I would actually prefer to make it more interactive.  Your comments will always be welcome.

Let the games (and books) begin.

9 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please begin listing some of your favorite books and authors. Good to know why you like them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so it's not a competition :-).
    I have received so many great books from the Book Sage over the years (many times from the trunk of his car!). And that has led directly to hours and hours of enjoyment. I am looking forward to reading about the inner workings of the Sage.
    Suggestions? Hmmm... let me think about it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I thought about it while making a salad. Of course, I'm interested in your favorite books and authors, but the negative side would be interesting too. What is the worst book you have read? Which author continues to amaze you by getting garbage published. And, which books have had the most typographical errors?

    Oh yes, and please recommend your favorite Japanese books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many of my favorite reads come to me from family and friends...and the staff recommendations at independent bookstores (like The Strand in NY, Keplers in Menlo Park and Bookshop Santa Cruz). I am eager to hear your blog followers book and bookshop favs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for starting this blog; should be great fun. And, on your recommendation, I'm now reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which I'm thoroughly enjoying. Will report on why I'm so captivated by this novel when I finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, Im in... but Im a romance, sci-fi, who done it reader.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have read many volumes from the Sage's "bookmobile". I am looking forward to reading other suggestions from the other recipients of the Sage's "bookmobile". Congratulations on a new fresh blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am indebted to the BookSage's efforts and success at making me even more ccmpulsive than I already was. I am now, for the past year1 1/2 years, a member of that select group of people who keep an Excel Spreadsheet of every book I read and how many pages per year!! Thanks, Lloyd!

    And we have enjoyed many an author's talk in San Mateo or Menlo Park. And another coming Tuesday night

    Glad to be a part of this sophisticated book grou!!!

    ReplyDelete