Wednesday, December 11, 2013

VHOB Book Club News for March

We're now ready to announce our March selections(plural?) for March.  This is a twist on top of a twist.  Because we're going to have 2 books and (therefore) 2 authors in March. Not only that, but we will be meeting only 2 weeks after our February author.  Have I lost my mind?  Perhaps.  Here's the deal:  On March 6, we've got 2 authors already lined up for an appearance at Village House of Books.  And both of these books are excellent choices for a book club.  They are:

Rayme Waters - The Angels' Share
Karen Joy Fowler - We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves

I have read them both.  And, in fact, Karen's book was the Books, Inc., Palo Alto, 4th Tuesday Book Club choice just this past month.  It was a very lively discussion.  And although I'm not aware of any book clubs that have read The Angels' Share, Rayme's book is one of my favorites from the past 2 years.  Combining them just seemed to be a natural.  So, on that night, we will meet to discuss Rayme's book from 6:30-7:00 and then Karen's book from 7:00-7:30.  Both authors will join us at 7:30 to read, answer questions, and sign books - the uszh (i.e. usual).

You are, of course, under no obligation to read both books (or either, if you don't want to). But, if you are interested in doing that, this notice gives you almost 3 full months to read them.  Even though I didn't love Karen's book, most everybody else at our book club meeting did.  I will be anxious to hear what you all have to say.

And, as I have said ad nauseum, you do not have to be a member of the VHOB Book Club to come and see the authors.  The more people we have there, the better it is for VHOB, the authors, and all of you.

2 comments:

  1. I so wish I didn't live clear across the country. Your enthusiasm is contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beth. The written word doesn't even begin to adequately describe my excitement at doing this job!

    ReplyDelete