Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Saw Tom Rob Smith (he of Child 44 fame) at Book Passage - Really Interesting Guy (and a heck of an author)

Have I ever told you how long it takes to get to Book Passage in Corte Madera from Los Gatos?  On a week night?  During the traffic hour?  It took us 1:50 last night.  Am I complaining?  A little.  But it was way worth it.  This is Britain's Tom Rob Smith's only appearance in Northern California for his new book, The Farm (except as part of the faculty for Book Passage's Mystery Writers Conference, from July 24-27).  So I had to go. I am a HUGE TRS fan.

I learned some very interesting things.  1st of all, and most importantly, Child 44 is coming out in movie theaters in November!  The stars are Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy, and Noomi Rapace (the actress who played Lisbeth Salander in the Swedish version of the Dragon Tattoo trilogy).  Tom hasn't even seen it yet.  But he's pretty darn excited.  And, on top of that, The Farm, which is a standalone, has been optioned by a British company.  Tom doesn't know if they will make movies of The Secret Speech (#2) or Agent 6 (#3).  He said it depends on how Child 44 does at the box office.  And, finally, he has just penned a spy drama series for the BBC.  Is he talented or what?

Lest you have forgotten, I loved Tom Rob Smith's trilogy, with Child 44, The Secret Speech, and Agent 6.  In fact, Child 44 is in Volume I of my Fiction for the Non-Fiction Reader (FFTNFR) - 2/19/11. And The Secret Speech is in Volume III - April 7, 2012.  Is that enough proof for you?  If you still haven't read these books, get on it.  And I will be starting The Farm tomorrow.










6 comments:

  1. I've not read any of Toms books, but on your recommendation, I will add him to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, what a great event! I've always been curious - do people call him "Tom Rob?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he went by Tom. BTW, did you happen to read his trilogy? Or at least Child 44? If you haven't, I'm pretty sure you would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a few hours of drive time for a favorite author? For some reason this series is not on my tbr even though I've heard lots of great things. 1950's Russia is probably what scared me away. I'll add it to my list because you love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pretty confident that you will at least like, if not love, Child 44.

    ReplyDelete