Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Results Are In - The Goodreads Reader Favorites 2014

The Goodreads Awards are the only ones based on readers' input.  There were 3,317,504 votes cast.  And here are the winners in all 20 categories:

Fiction - Landline - Rainbow Rowll
Non-Fiction - The Opposite of Loneliness - Marina Keegan
Mystery/Thriller - Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King
Historical Fiction - All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
YA Fiction - We Were Liars - e. lockhart
Romance - Written in My Own Heart's Blood - Diana Gabaldon
Humor - Yes Please - Amy Poehler
Science Fiction - The Martian - Andy Weir
Fantasy - The Book of Life - Deborah Harkness
Horror - Prince Lestat - Ann Rice
Memoir & Autobiography - This Star Won't Go Out - Esther Earl
History & Biography - The Romanov Sisters - Helen Rappaport
Business Book - #Girl Boss - Sophia Amoruso
Food & Cookbook - Make It Ahead - Ina Garten
Graphic Novels & Comics - Serenity:Leaves in the Wind - Zack Whedon,Georges Jeanty,Fabio Moon
Poetry - Lullabies - Lang Leav
Debut Goodreads Author - Red Rising - Pierce Brown
YA Fantasy - The Mortal Instruments:City of Heavenly Fire - Cassandra Clare
Middle Grade & Children's - The Blood of Olympus - Rick Riordan
Picture Books - The Pigeon Needs a Bath - Mo Willems

I have only read 1 of these books - All the Light We Cannot See - and I liked it a lot (review on 11/15/14).  But I have 2 others in my TBR pile, sitting among 30 others.  One is The Martian (science fiction), and the other is We Were Liars (YA Fiction).  Both of these were highly recommended to me by Kepler's staff at 2 different events I attended.  I bought them without knowing how popular they were.  I guess I'll move them up the pile(s) a bit.

NEXT UP:  I've got a few reviews coming in the next week or so:
Cane and Abe - James Grippando (hitting the stores in early January)
The Mathematician's Shiva - Stuart Rojstaczer (our RBC selection for January - the 13th)
Proof of Heaven - Eben Alexander, M.D. (the December book for the Los Gatos Library Third Tuesday Night Book Club)

2 comments:

  1. I've only read one as well - Mr. Mercedes. I have Landline and We Were Liars and a friend loaned me The Martian but that's it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of these! And as far as I know none of them are sitting around here. I did vote but none of my books made it to the end.

    ReplyDelete