Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Great News for RBC Author, Natalie Baszile

Yesterday, I was just minding my own business (yeah, right!), and I got an email from one of our members, Susan S.  She sent me the link to an article about our December RBC author.  It turns out that  Queen Sugar, by Natalie Baszile, is being turned into a TV series by none other than Oprah!  Are you kidding me?  Oprah will produce the series for her network, OWN.  And Ava DuVernay, who directed Selma, will write and direct the show. Those of us who got a chance to meet Natalie at Recycle were blown away by her.  She was not only really interesting, but she was also just a delight to talk to.  It is very exciting for us book club members to see Natalie's book being made into a TV series.

Now, if you didn't get a chance to see Natalie at Recycle, you have a couple more opportunities here in the Bay Area.  Your 1st shot is this Friday night at 7:00 at A Great Good Place for Books, located in the Montclair district of Oakland.  I've only been there once, but it's where I met Beth Hoffman, one of my favorite authors.  So I've got very good memories of the store.

The 2nd opportunity to see Natalie is on February 23.  Janet, who is one of our founding RBC members, is having Natalie at her house for her book club meeting.  Janet asked Natalie a couple of months ago to come talk to her book club.  And the time has come.  It just happens to be a bonus for Janet that Natalie is coming after getting such great news. And, by the way, Janet welcomes all of you to attend the meeting.  If you are interested, then comment on this post, and I will put you in touch with her directly.

Here's the link to the article.

Oprah Winfrey And 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Team Up For A Series

One of the most powerful people in television is teaming up with a top-notch film (and TV) director to create a new series based on the novel Queen Sugar.
Read this story 

And, P.S., I reviewed Queen Sugar back on Aug. 28, 2014.  And the review was glowing.





No comments:

Post a Comment