Thursday, February 19, 2015

Upcoming (and past) Events

Let's start with the past event - one.  Tuesday night, Alan Jacobson, author of Spectrum, and the Karen Vail series, came to Recycle Books for the RBC meeting.  We had a good crowd (as you can see from the pictures) and got to hear Alan tell us about his next book, which is coming out in October.  It will be his  6th published book, and the 1st one that focuses on characters other than Karen.  He kept us engaged for the better part of an hour.




There are some very cool events coming up in the next couple of months.  Here is a list (I know you can't wait):

1.  This coming Monday, Feb. 23, Natalie Baszile will be coming to Janet's house (one of our RBC members) to meet with Janet's book club (Natalie was our RBC author for December).  Since that date was set, we have all become aware that Natalie's book, Queen Sugar, was picked up by Oprah for her TV network, OWN, as a series.  The director of Selma, Ava DuVernay, will write and direct the series.  This will be the 1st chance to talk to Natalie since we heard the news.




2.  Have I spoken to you about the Los Gatos Library Evening Book Club?  Melissa Maglio does a great job of coming up with questions for the group.  I mention this because the February and March books are real good ones.  This coming Tuesday, the 24th, we are talking about The Boys in the Boat.  I gave it a 3.5/4.  And in March, on Tuesday the 17th, we will be discussing Orphan Train.  As you all know, I just read it and gave it a 4/4.  In fact, yesterday I saw a list of popular books for book clubs, and Orphan Train was #2 (All the Light We Cannot See, which I also gave a 3.5/4 to, was #1).  I'm telling you this in case you want to come to either/both meetings.  They're open to everybody, and they go from 6:30-7:30.




3.  I know I've mentioned Kepler's Book Swap before.  I went to one last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.  But due to circumstances beyond my control (probably within my control), I've missed the last couple.  Well, not this time.  The next one is Saturday night, March 7, and Joni and I are signed up.  I will be bringing John Hart's The Last Child.  I'm hoping to get some new readers for his books.  He is totally terrific.  As for the author who will be there that night, it's Elizabeth Rosner.  I'm looking forward to meeting her and buying her book (and getting it signed, of course).  The event is 6:30-9:00 and includes wine, water, and hor's d'oevres.  It's great fun and costs $25/person.  You end up with at least one book and a whole lot of fun.  Go on Kepler's website if you are interested in attending.



4.   Finally, I'll just give you the dates and authors for our next 3 RBC events:

     a.  Tuesday, March 24 - C. Lee McKenzie, author of The Princess of Las Pulgas, our
          1st YA (young adult)





     b.  Wednesday, April 22 - Christine Z. Mason, author of Boundaries:  A Love Story




     c.   Tuesday, May 12 - John Billheimer, author of Dismal Mountain




As they used to say - That's all she wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment