Monday, June 29, 2015

Breathless in Love - Part II (it's shorter than 1, I swear it)

As I mentioned 3 days ago, I just couldn't get all of my review into one post.  So here is the spillover for what I want to say about Breathless in Love.  And I'm doing it by the numbers so that I look organized.

1.    I like that the book goes back and forth between Will and Harper.  In a romance, I enjoy
       the 2 different perspectives.

2.    Although I didn't have my 1st emotional reaction until page 64 (and it was a small one),
       I more than made up for it in the succeeding 334 pages.

3.    On page 135, we are introduced to Will's surrogate parents, Susan and Bob.  I felt like I
       knew these people immediately.

4.    Because of the person Will is, especially in light of his history, I was not even jealous
       the Will is a billionaire!  (okay, maybe a little)

5.    There is a 6-page segment about 2/3 of the way through the book where Will and
       Susan have a phone conversation.  I love their connection.  It was one of my favorite
       parts of the book.

6.    Will has a big secret about his childhood that is finally revealed about 3/4 into the book.
       You absolutely feel his pain.

7.    There's a 13-page section between Will and Harper about 3/4 of the way into the book
       that is absolutely mesmerizing.

8.    The scenes where the 5 billionaires are together are really cool.  You get an
       understanding of how their childhoods shaped their lives and what brought them
       together.

9.    Okay, admit it.  You are wondering why I haven't mentioned the sex scenes.  Were
       there any?  Uh, yes there were.  Did I like them?  Need you ask?  I mean, I've got a
       man card to uphold (I still have one, right?  Don't I?)  So here's what I have to say
       about that.  They were very tasteful.  They were pretty explicit but stopped well short
       of erotica.  That's not a judgment.  It's just a fact.  But here's the crazy part:  I didn't
       really need the sex scenes that much (WHAT! ARE YOU NUTS?).  For me, it's
       about the connections, the relationships, the scene in the restaurant (with Mama
       Cannelli), the scene in the factory, etc.  Don't get me wrong.  I read the sex scenes (it
       would have been rude for me not to!).  But for me, a top notch romance like this is
       more about anticipation and the tete-a-tete between the 2 main characters than it is
       about the act itself.  Mock me if you will, but I must speak the truth.  At least as I see it.

P.S.  Read the book.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for all your insights! I'm so glad the book worked for you! And I will not mock you, promise!

    ReplyDelete