Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Another Review of Another Local Author - Two Among the Righteous Few: A Story of Courage in the Holocaust - Marty Brounstein

On April 30, I gave you a lot of details about seeing Marty Brounstein at the JCC in honor of Holocaust Remembrance Day.  You can take a look at that to learn a lot about the Roman Catholic couple in The Netherlands who either harbored several dozen Jews during WWII or, if not, got them sequestered in other homes.  But everything I told you back then was based on seeing Marty live.  Now I have actually read the book.  And I have come away with even more facts:

1.  Of the 140,000 Jews living in The Netherlands at the time WWII started, 107,000 died!
2.  Germany attacked The Netherlands on May 9, 1940.  I read about that attack on May 9, 2016.
3.  The 1st person to live with the Wijnakkers was a 14-year old girl named Shulamit Laub.  "Shula" was a friend of Anne Frank.

Let me point out that for those of you who have not had a chance to see Marty in person (do it if the opportunity arises) you will be blown away by this book.   I saw him, and I was still totally engrossed in the story.  Do yourself a favor and get your hands on Two Among the Righteous Few.  It's an important story well-told.

2 MOVIE NOTES:  You know how I love to talk about movies that come from books.  Well, I've got two of them for you -
1.  I just found out that A Man Called Ove is a movie that they came out in Sweden this past December.  I don't know anything else about it.  Does it have English subtitles?  Beats me. Can you even get it in this country?  Dunno.  But I would love to see it.
2.  We all have a soft spot for Roald Dahl books.  I specifically remember reading The BFG to our youngest child, Lauren, when she was probably around 7.  But guess what?  Her older sister, 12, and brother, 15, listened too.  It's really hard not to.  What does this have to do with movies?  Yep, you're right.  It's coming to theaters July 1.  It's live action, and it's directed by Steven Spielberg.  Go on YouTube and type in Disney's The BFG - official trailer 2.  If you have any connection to the book, like I did, you might even have a happy tear or 2 just watching the trailer!

2 comments:

  1. I love stories like that. They always make me wonder if I would be that brave in the same situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. It's probably the difference between being brave in the moment and being brave over time. The 2nd one has to be so much more difficult.

      Delete