Monday, February 6, 2017

Murder in the Abstract - A Murder Mystery by Susan C. Shea

As you know, I saw Terry Shames at her book launch at Books, Inc. in Berkeley back on January 13. And as you also know, Terry was in conversation with Susan C. Shea, another local author.  Well, I decided to get book 1 of Susan's Dani O'Rourke mystery series.  And I really enjoyed it.  Here's what Murder in the Abstract is about:

Danielle O'Rourke's gala evening at the Devor Museum ends in catastrophe when the body of a young artist plummets from her office window.  The police label it murder and suspect Dani, the Museum's chief fund raiser.  Self-preservation and an insider's understanding of how money moves the art world drive her to investigate who might have a motive for murder. Dani's playboy ex-husband and a green-eyed cop complicate matters as her search moves through the fashionable worlds of San Francisco and Santa Fe.

This book was very educational for me:

1.  I learned a lot about the business side of the art world.
2.  I learned about the various roles/jobs that an art museum (and probably all museums) has.
3.  I learned about art galleries and what goes into putting on a show.

On top of all that, I also got to sink my teeth into a murder mystery.  And I have to tell you that I did NOT know whodunit until the very end.  And with a wide variety of eccentric and unique characters, I'm definitely looking forward to #2 - The King's Jar - and #3 - Mixed Up with Murder.

Does the pool of local, talented authors ever dry up?  Or even stay at the same level?  To borrow from the current weather in the Bay Area, I can honestly say that the banks are overflowing (have you been on highway 17 in the Santa Cruz mountains lately?).  But most importantly, add Susan C. Shea to that every-burgeoning pool.




4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Lloyd, and thanks for seeking out the first in the Dani series! I had fun writing all three and, who knows, maybe there will be another some day. There's plenty of crime in the art world to inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you be willing to do an online interview? That way, I could help educate my readers (and me!) about issues surrounding the art world. Let me know if you are interested, and I will send you some questions.

      Delete
  2. I used to serve on the board of a museum so I know a little bit about the art world. This book sounds perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool. If you read it, let me know if it's an accurate portrayal.

      Delete