Thursday, June 15, 2017

More 3.25s + A Couple of Author Events + The RBC

So I reviewed years 2011-2015 for other 3.25s.  And I discovered that I had NO 3.25s until 2014.  I can't explain why I never rated a book 3.25 the 1st 3 years of blogging.  It's kind of crazy.  Regardless, here are 15 more from the 2014 and 2015 years.

Blossoms and Bayonets - Jana McBurney-Lin (historical fiction/memoir)
The Mathematician's Shiva - Stuart Rojstaczer (religious/literary fiction)
Ten Steps from the Hotel Inglaterra - Linda Gunther (literary fiction)
The Martian - Andy Weir (science fiction)
Forward to Camelot - Susan Sloat/Kevin Finn (historical/literary fiction)
Dismal Mountain - John Billmeier (mystery)
Still Alice - Lisa Genova (literary fiction)
The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion (literary fiction)
The Bone Tree - Greg Iles (historical/literary fiction, mystery - book 2 of trilogy)
Lawyer Up - Kate Allure (graphic romance)
The English Spy - Daniel Silva (mystery/suspense)
The Race for Paris - Meg Waite Clayton (historical fiction)
Kitchens of the Great Midwest - J. Ryan Stradal (historical/culinary fiction)
Top Secret - W.E.B. Griffin (military/historical fiction)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot (biography)

Two author events:

1.   I've already told you about this one.  Daniel Silva will be coming to the JCC in Palo Alto on Tuesday, July 18, from 8-9:30.  He will be promoting his latest book in the Gabriel Allon series, House of Spies.  I just bought my tickets tonight.  I hope to see some of you there.

2.  This is one I just found out about.  It's Louise Penny with her next in the Inspector Gamache series.  Louise will be at Bookshop Santa Cruz on August 31 at 7:00.  I read book 1 a year or 2 ago because several people raved about it.  I finished it but decided I didn't need to read any more. As you already know,  though, it is a hugely popular series.

RBC:

This week we had our June RBC meeting.  The book is The Illuminator's Gift by Alina Sayre.  It's a middle-grade fantasy that all of us adults liked. Here is a picture of Alina:



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting me! Such a fun group :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read one of those - The Rosie Project - and I liked it a little more than you did. I know The Martian was all the rage but, after seeing the movie, I wasn't interested in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting. I read the book 1st. And I obviously liked it. But I liked the movie better. The book had too much science in it for me. On the flip side, the book was very funny.

      Delete